Getting more traffic won’t always get you what you want. Your goal should always be to generate relevant and targeted traffic – which is exactly what all of the tactics and strategies included in this guide will help you with.
Once you have a clear idea of exactly what you want people to do on your blog, you can optimize your blog to improve the likelihood that it will happen – small tweaks can make a big difference with conversions. Sometimes it is slow to get more visits, and sometimes it happened almost overnight.
How to drive more traffic to your website and blog
There are a lot of tactics listed below and when used in the right way they can have a huge impact on your traffic.
Use Skyscraper technique for Your Blog
“The skyscraper technique” simply means, creating the ultimate piece of content that soars above other similar content to your topic. That usually means more words, better research, more thorough topic discussions, better imagery and better writing.
Your research and writing time should increase to generate this, but your work will be rewarded when you begin promoting your skyscraper content.
The Points to Remember When Using the Skyscraper Technique:
- Topic Selection
- Create better content.
- Promote to your audience.
- Reach out to the right people.
- Stay updated.
Some ideas on how you can make better content. Once you find the article you wish to target and write a better article about, here are some things to consider:
- Make it longer. More words usually mean better ranking, more shares and more backlinks.
- Better Design. The message should better, but visually you should also be providing a more visually interesting blog post.
- Update the Content. Make sure you are using the most updated research, stats, images, screenshots and information available.
- Details, Details, Details. The devil is in the details. Get granular, be specific and give as much information as possible, so the reader can emulate what you have described.
Research for what to wirte
Reading a lot of other blogs and forums can be a great way to start, but there are also a bunch of tools that will help you here, for example:
- Google Trends – This will show you a graph of how interest has increased/decreased over time.
- BuzzSumo – This tool will show you which topics are generating the most social shares.
- SEMrush – With this tool you can find out exactly what keywords your competitors are ranking for in Google and get an estimate of how much traffic those keywords can bring in.
The important thing here is to ensure that the topics you choose fit with your content strategy and are focused on helping your target audience.
Mention influencers in your posts and let them know you’ve mentioned them
When you first start your blog, you’ll be starting from scratch but there are those in your niche that already have influence.
So, When you write your next blog post, link out to other posts written by influencers that provide additional insight and complement your post, then you can let them know that you’ve mentioned them. People love to share stuff that makes them look good. So when you say cool stuff about them in a post, chances are they’ll share it with their audience. Not always, but sometimes. The important thing is to just let people know you’ve mentioned them, don’t keep asking them to share your content.
Note: this can also be a great way to build relationships with other bloggers.
Add relevant internal links
When you add relevant internal links to your blog, you make it easier for people to find your best content and you also make it easier for search engines to index your content. Don’t add internal links just for the sake of it; add them only when you feel it’s relevant and helpful to readers.
Focus on building your email list
Out of all of the other tactics in this post, the most dependable is this one.
Social networks may come and go but your email list will always be yours.
Growing your email list boils down to two things:
- Make it easy for your readers to sign up to your list
- Offer them a compelling reason to join your list
As your list grows, the more traffic you’ll be able to send to your latest posts.
Be present on social networks
Growing a presence on social media can be a great way to increase your traffic but it can’t be done without being present.
The more you venture out onto the web and engage with others, the faster your following will grow and the more influence you will have.
It’s time to deceit a winning website traffic strategy
You’ve now got plenty of tactics you can use to start getting more traffic to your blog, but it’s important that you pick the tactics that are the best fit for your blog and will provide you with the most relevant traffic.
If you haven’t already, make sure you’ve got an analytics tool setup. Don’t rely on stats provided by your web host, get a third party tool like Google Analytics setup.